Tuesday 28 February 2012

Scientist Profile: Ben Mills


An important member of our tracer team on board, Ben took a few minutes to tell us a little about his background and research interests:

Where are you are working/studying?

I’m in the final year of my PhD at the University of East Anglia in Norwich (UK). My work focuses on the Earth’s combined biological, geological and chemical cycles, and the evolution of this ‘Earth system’ over the last 4.5 billion years. I make simple mathematical models, and attempt to unravel the mysteries presented in the geologic record, with varying degrees of success...
You can see some of my recent work here.

What is your involvement with the DIMES project?

I’m a bit of a stow-away on this cruise, not being an oceanographer and all that. The tracer experiments are run by our research group at UEA, and they needed an extra hand to help with  the 24hr sampling. They also mentioned that there would be free food.

What do you personally want to get out of this cruise?

This is the first time I’ve been to sea, so for me it’s been a great experience already. As a computer modeller, I rely completely on other people's data, so it is nice to give something back by helping with the sampling.

What do you enjoy about going to sea/working in oceanography?

It’s fun. Lots of cool places and wildlife to see. Everyone is interesting and friendly. Did I mention the free food?

No comments:

Post a Comment